mercredi 25 août 2010

A man must have his shed (with apologies to Arthur)

In these gory days of ever more gross and degenerate lard wagons, I could not help being delighted, thrilled and even entranced by the man who decided to take his garden shed on holiday.

What more perfect antidote could there be to huge, white horrible camper things than this transport of delight hailing from the département du Cher in northern central France?

Just imagine the conversation: "Chèrie, I cannot bear to leave mes bégonias adorables, they must come with us en vacances!"

Being anglais, I had to empathise with this beleaguered creature, who could not, even for one day be deprived of his precious refuge, far from the madding female crowd, from tea, from doilies, and fêtes de Ware de Tupper . . .

I actually went to the trouble of trailing the shed for several kilometres down the detested D118 to Perpignan in the hope of girlfriend Claire getting a decent snap.

As you can just about see, the wooden body is roped down onto the trailer with tension straps, so I figure it really was uprooted from its quiet little spot près de la compost heap au fond du jardin and whizzed off to double as a beach hut au bord de la mer. C'est le retour d'Arthur Jackson des deux abris!

* Désole à
Monty Python . . .

2 commentaires:

  1. Having just read your Petit Coup de Fa in the French Literary Review (à côté de my poem Jardin Extraordinaire), I was moved to google you. Delighted to find your wonderful blog, with more of the same bilingual shenanigans. My OH's shed is known as Chateau Jock, but we've never thought of taking it on holiday!I'm now off to read your poetry, if I can find it. You'll find a lot of mine on http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. I'm glad you like the blog and especially hope you found the poems as they will appreciate the visit. I've visited your blog and there found much to enjoy as well!

    The FLR pieces are usually Madame Editor favourites from the blog worked together with some fresh linking bits.

    The blog's been suffering from neglect this last month while I hammer away at the barmy novel project. I'm about 46,000 words in hope I can keep going . . .

    my email is eddie.castellan@wanadoo.fr

    cheers, Ed

    RépondreSupprimer