vendredi 1 janvier 2010

Talking huge tomatoes with slipped guitarist

How's that for an obscure arty headline to start 2010? I suppose really the pic ought to be a too-clever-by-half conceptualist pair of bricks on an old plate, hot contender for the Turner Prize. Still you can't have everything. I'm not darling Damien and so haven't worked out how to sell you the aforementioned artwork for 25 grand.

What you're actually looking at is the new wonder duo of girlfriend Claire singing and me playing my 12-string guitar down at the world-famous CDF, complete with super-duper new pick-up for me to make a (rather tasteful, actually) racket with.

As it happens, snapper Martin Castellan has cunningly omitted me, apart from a subtle touch of forearm, some invisible shirt and a little peek of guitar body. At the time, I thought this was a decision made on the understandable grounds that Claire is better-looking than I am. However Martin assures me that I was simply standing in a dark bit and wouldn't have shown up, hence this revised version of the entry.

I should however clarify that Claire is not trying to balance a huge tomato on the end of the mike. In fact it is wearing what we technical types call a muff, or mini foam-rubber tea cosy that keeps it warm during sub-zero gigs, and stops hurricanes or other gale-force winds from making obscene blowing noises that wreck the sound quality.

The picture represents a cunningly-frozen mime of Claire doing one of her Claude Nougaro covers. Yer man Claude hailed from Toulouse. He had a fine taste in French/US crossover jazz and was thus our local boy made good and an all-round bon oeuf.

We shall be back. Be warned . . . Bonne Année!

3 commentaires:

  1. Eddie

    Try standing under the light when you play. I'm not sexist; I'm lightist....

    Martin

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Lightist, eh? So you don't photograph fat bastards either . . . counts me out then.

    I'm taking it that the famed dry sense of humour is working, twas all done in fun . . . but must admit was unaware that there was any light to stand under.

    I'm chuffed that you took a good pic of Claire and don't mind in the slightest not being in it.

    That's a much better pic of you, by the way.

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. You know the CafédeFa policy towards musicians - don't feed them after midnight, don't get them wet, and above all, don't expose them to bright lights. We had enough trouble with Gremlins...

    RépondreSupprimer