jeudi 27 août 2009

I say, old fruit, take me back to Mummy

It has to be said that I wasn't in general thrilled by the paintings in the Louvre. True, there's the inevitable Mona Lisa, Gericault's Raft of the Medusa, from before it was hijacked by The Pogues for an album cover, and Vermeer's gorgeous The Astronomer.

However for my taste there's way too many epic God pix, be they Catholic, classical Roman, Greek, bloodthirsty or plain enormous: It all makes for a very long walk. But along the way, I did come across these wonderfully bizarre, fruity old geezers as constructed from garden produce (various) by yer man Archimboldo.

As a personal choice, I reckon the real wonder stuff in the Louvre is the collection from ancient Egypt, including Mummies (various), and a wealth of antiquities from other points around the Med. Go, enjoy, be genuinely thrilled.

*Incidentally, you can get a better look at the old fruits or any of the other pix on the blog by double-clicking on the image.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire